Thursday, November 29, 2007

MaDnEsS

I don't think the king really thinks Hamlets crazy. I think he is suspicious of how much Hamlet knows about the murder. After the play that Hamlet has the players perform, King Claudius says to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, "I like him not, nor stands it safe with us to let his madness range. Therefore prepare you. I your commission will forthwith dispatch, and he to England shall along with you." Before the play, the king, still isn't certain whether Hamlet is insane or not, he is still gathering evidence for the reason behind his behavior. It is only after Hamlet contructs a play that models the murder, that Claudius decides he must be removed from the castle due to his "madness". But is Claudius really sending him away because he believes he's mad or is it because he knows that Hamlet knows his secret? I believe it is the second.

No comments: